Welcome to JetSetting Fools, here you will find our best travel tips for destinations worldwide. Some of the links on this site are Affiliate Links and if you use them to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. For more information, read our Disclosure Policy.
There are few better ways to get a taste of homegrown flavor than to sample the local brew – and it just so happens that some of the best bars in Riga, Latvia are serving up just that. We’re not talking about the country’s mass-produced lagers that are guzzled in Riga pubs. We were much more interested in the unique tastes of the craft beer Riga scene – and we found 7 Riga bars serving up locally produced microbrews.
Craft Beer Riga Tips
Riga Craft Beer Bar Locations
Our recommended seven places to visit in Riga for craft beer are located throughout the city – four are Riga Old Town bars and three are northeast of the Old Town (but well-worth the effort to get to!). Click here for a link to the craft beer bars in Riga, Latvia on Google Maps. Note: This is not a walking route. Rearrange the list to your liking to create a walkable route.
Top Tip: Short on time in Riga? Maximize your craft beer consumption by creating your own Riga bar crawl. Visit either the four craft beer bars in the Old Town or the three bars north of town for a fun evening of bar hopping!
Riga Craft Beer Prices
Riga is well-known as a budget-drinking destination, however, that doesn’t hold true with Riga craft beers. While still relatively inexpensive as compared to craft beer in other countries, expect to pay a couple dollars more for a pint of craft beer than mass-produced options. Most craft beers cost about €3.50 ($4 USD).
7 Best Bars In Riga, Latvia Serving Craft Beer
Our list of Riga bars is in alphabetical order.
#1 Alus Muiza
Inconspicuously located on a quiet residential street north of the Old Town, Alus Muiza has a cozy, wooden interior and 10 Latvian craft beers on tap. Want Riga beer to-go? They have growlers for sale, so you can take the tasty suds with you!
#2 Beer House No. 1
Beer-lovers may be a little overwhelmed by the number of choices at Beer House No. 1. Their extensive list of brews includes international specialties, as well as a lengthy selection of Latvian craft beers. The bar features several televisions, making it one of the best bars in Riga Old Town for watching sporting events.
#3 Easy Beer Riga
Easy Beer is somewhat of a novelty bar where patrons get to pour their own beers. It’s a pretty simple concept (thus the name, Easy Beer): get a card from the waitress, grab a glass, tap your card to activate the tap and fill your glass with a local beer of your choice. Pour a little or pour a lot – it’s fun to be your own bartender! Note: Easy Beer isn’t dedicated to craft beer; commercial beers, wine and spirits are also available self-serve style.
#4 Folkklubs Ala Pagrabs
We ranked Folkklubs Ala Pagrabs as one of the best pubs in Riga for craft beer. The cavernous cellar has a long bar and a long list of local microbrews to match – boasting 28 Latvian draught beers. While the Old Town bar (and restaurant) caters to tourists, we enjoyed the jovial atmosphere…and even spotted a few locals as the night progressed.
#5 Labietis Brewery Alus Darbnica
For craft beer straight from the source, go to Labietis Alus Darbnica. The Riga brewery and pub is located 2.5 kilometers northeast of the Old Town, and – in our opinion – serves the best beer in Riga. Labietis has 12 beers on tap – all of which are produced in the tanks sitting behind the glass wall next to the bar.
#6 TAKA Riga
TAKA bar has a low-key, artistic vibe with knowledgeable staff and solid craft beer selection sure to impress craft beer enthusiasts. The neighborhood spot feels more like a café than a bar, but it’s a Riga beer bar not to be missed!
#7 The Armoury Bar Riga
It’s not often that guns and alcohol mingle well together, but it works at The Armoury Bar in Old Town Riga. Firearms and ammunition decorate the dimly lit space and a few taps are reserved for local craft beer (in addition to brews from around the world).
More Riga Bars
Although our palates veer towards craft beer, we aren’t averse to visiting bars that haven’t yet embraced the revolution. In fact, we stumbled into a few Riga bars that we liked enough to give mention, even among our list of Riga craft beer bars.
Radisson Blu Skyline Bar
Omas Briljants has a shabby chic interior of throwback memorabilia. The beer options are standard commercial choices, but overall it is a fun spot in the Old Town.
Need a break from beer? AuthorCafe has a fine selection of wine – and an amazing array of hand-crafted tapas!
Find More Riga Things To Do!
Riga by night differs drastically from the quaint city during daylight hours. Craft beer bars are ideal for beer aficionados, but not necessarily for tourists who want to party in Riga. Riga nightclubs stay open into the wee hours of the morning, attracting Riga stag weekend-goers and the like. If you are searching for night life in Riga where you chug rather than savor, the Pub Crawl Riga or Riga Beer Bike might fit the bill. More info on the pub crawl and beer bike.
Our Top Tips For Your Trip To Riga, Latvia
We have a few more suggestions for your trip to Riga!
Where To Stay In Riga, Latvia
During our visit to Riga, we stayed in an amazing Airbnb Apartment. (Not already a member of Airbnb? Use this link to create an account and save money on your first stay!) We have found that staying in apartments is often less expensive than hotel rooms – with the added benefit of a kitchen and, usually, more space. Riga holiday apartments can also be searched on FlipKey (which is part of TripAdvisor) or on VRBO – Vacation Rentals By Owner.
However, for those who prefer staying in traditional accommodations, there are many Riga Hotels (search Booking.com) to choose from in – or close to – the city center (which is the best place to stay in Riga!). Check out these top-rated hotels (based on guest reviews!) for your upcoming trip: Relais Le Chevalier, Neiburgs Hotel and Grand Palace Hotel. Or, find a deal on a hotel room by bidding on Priceline.
Budget travelers can search for Riga Hostels – like Tree House and Green Cat Hostel. For a true bargain – and a unique experience – search for hosts on Couchsurfing, where travelers stay with locals for free.
Getting To Riga, Latvia
Depending on your location, Riga can be reached by plane, train, bus, boat or car.
- Riga Airport information can be found here. Our preferred method of getting anywhere is by flying (we are JetSetting Fools, after all!) and when we do need to purchase plane tickets, we start our search for the best deals on airline tickets on Skyscanner or Flight Hub. Tip: You can book your transfer from the Riga Airport to the city in advance.
- There are five regional train lines that are great for Riga Day Trips, but only a few international train connections (Estonia, Russia and Belarus).
- Several bus routes connect Riga internationally. We used Eurolines to get from Riga to Tallinn.
- To get from Riga to Stokholm, there is a ferry. For a glimpse of Stokholm from Riga, you can book a Riga-Stokholm-Riga Cruise (2-nights).
- We aren’t keen on driving abroad, but renting a car can often save time and money (especially when traveling with more than two people) – and a car rental allows for greater discovery.
Before You Go To Riga
- Riga is a walkable city…but only if you have the right travel shoes! Don’t forget to pack a pair of lightweight and comfortable walking shoes for your trip. I (Sarah) have traveled with these shoes by Columbia, Skechers and Reef. Kris prefers wearing these shoes by Merrell and Sanuk.
- We’re certain you’ll be snapping tons of photos during your trip. Rather than relying on your mobile phone to capture the sights, upgrade to an actual camera for higher quality photos (that can later be beautifully compiled into a travel photo book). We travel with a Canon Rebel (which takes amazing photos, but can be a bit clunky) and a Canon PowerShot ELPH (which takes beautiful pictures, is slim and lightweight).
- Make sure to have a good guidebook before arriving in Riga and a great day pack to organize all your travel essentials!
- We think travel insurance is essential! If you haven’t already obtained travel insurance for your trip, travel protected with World Nomads.
We want to know: What are your favorite Riga bars for craft beer? Any specific beer recommendations for fellow craft beer lovers? Give us your best tips in the comments below!
Pin it! See all of our travel pins on our JetSetting Fools Pinterest Board.